Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Online submission and automated desktop underwriting

When I first started in the business, I thought I'd write a super slick Excel program that would calculate every option for a borrow when I would get them on the phone. Of course, I would spend all my time working on the spreadsheet, never picking up the phone. This was Pre-Internet, Pre-Telemarketing laws, and Pre-dot-com where everyone became a licensed real estate professional. My mentors, Jim & Bruce said "All you ever need is a piece of paper, a pencil and a calculator. That still holds true in this information age: It's simple basics; financing fundamentals. All these computer models, so-called Online underwriting and automated loan submissions are still fueled by people...and if you don't have someone you can talk to about your loan, someone who understands your personal needs, explains the "costs" associated with a new mortgage, the pitfalls, etc, then you can find yourself at the signing table with pile of documents that you have no idea what is going on and you find yourself in a loan with excessive and un-anticipated fees. Make sure that when you get to the closing table that your mortgage broker is there with you. Don't waste money. This industry still required, now more than ever, solid personal attention: Pat Townsley, Mortgage Broker. 415-485-1776. http://www.ptre.net/

No comments: